Getting a steady flow of leads as a contractor can be difficult. Traditional marketing channels like the Yellow Pages don’t make the phones ring like they used to. So what’s the answer? In short, Google. Using contractor SEO to improve your visibility in search results can make or break a business. Some statistics to think about.
- 97% of people get the majority of their information about a business online (source).
- 88% of local business searches from a smartphone will call or visit within 24 hours (source).
- Forrester Research anticipates that mobile devices will influence $1.4 trillion in sales in 2021.
Search engine optimization is critical for contractors to grow their business. Your potential customers look for help online first, and they eventually contact and work with the customers that appear on the top of the search rankings. At Netvantage, we know what it takes to make local contractors rank at the top of search engines like Google. This holds true for contractors of all stripes:
- General contractors
- Flooring professionals
- Foundation contractors
- HVAC professionals
- Insulation contractors
- Window and door specialists
- Siding and gutter companies
How does contractor SEO work?
Netvantage has been helping our clients improve their rankings and grow their business since 2008. This experience has helped us refine our local search strategy to a science. There are three key components to our process. (ADD GRAPHIC FOR EACH SECTION)
- SEO audit. The first thing we look at in every one of our SEO audits is on-site SEO. This covers everything from the technical aspects of how your site is constructed to copywriting. We perform an SEO audit that reviews these critical elements and provides specific recommendations for how to improve them. We also look at your competitors to see who is doing well with SEO, what they’re doing to be successful, and what needs to be done to beat them.
- Google My Business optimization. Your Google My Business listing is where you can control the information that’s used in Google Maps. You’ve probably noticed that Google often shows map listings in their results for local contractor services. We’ll make sure you claim your listing and set it up correctly to achieve maximum exposure.
- Off-site SEO. The final piece of the puzzle is off-site optimization. These are external factors that can influence your rankings, like the number and quality of links and mentions to your business around the web. We’ll work with you to improve the quantity and quality of your off-site links and mentions.
Our process in detail
One of the reasons Netvantage has become a leading SEO company for contractors is our attention to detail and our transparency. We don’t shy away from telling you exactly what we’re going to do, and we’ll provide you as much or as little information as you want throughout the process. Here’s how it works.
Keyword research. Our on-site SEO process always begins with keyword research. We do the homework to figure out what your potential customers are searching for to make sure we’re targeting the biggest and best audience that we can.
For example, if you’re a plumber in Louisville, Kentucky, should your primary keyword be something like “plumbers in Louisville, Kentucky” or “Louisville plumber”? While these terms may seem interchangeable, you might be shocked to learn that there are more than three times as many searches for the first of those two searches!
Our team will meticulously go through your site page by page to make sure each critical page targets a unique set of valuable keywords to maximize your coverage in search.
Content optimization. Once we know what keywords to hit, our team will make page-by-page recommendations on the key elements of your pages to specifically target those critical keywords. We’ll make adjustments to your page titles, meta descriptions, headings, body copy, images, and more while keeping in mind recent trends like voice search so that your content is optimized for all the ways people are searching.
When necessary, we’ll suggest the creation of new pages to take advantage of untapped opportunities that we discover during our keyword research process.
Technical SEO. As a contractor, you know how important it is to make sure that everything is working smoothly when you finish a job. Nobody wants an air conditioning unit that takes forever to cool down their home, right? Technical SEO works similarly, Google knows users don’t want to deal with a website that takes forever to load or is difficult to use and has made it an important ranking factor in their search algorithm.
We know what Google’s looking for and run your site through a rigorous set of tests to determine where you’re hitting the mark and where you might be coming up short. Elements we look at in our technical review include:
- Device compatibility. The numbers show that most people perform searches on their phone, we make sure your website design is “mobile-friendly” and works across all platforms.
- Site speed. Users don’t have time for sites that take forever to load and Google has set specific standards they want sites to meet for speed.
- Crawl errors. Does your site have broken links or missing images? We’ll use our own crawlers to identify and fix these issues.
- Structured data. For local contracting businesses, structured data is a way to use embedded code in your site to feed specific information to Google about your business location, hours, and pricing.
Content marketing. Potential customers can spot a stale website in an instant. We work with many of our clients to create an ongoing content calendar to produce fresh and relevant content that your users are interested in. We research topics that we know people are interested in and use our SEO knowledge to optimize each blog post or article to help your site continuously increase traffic. This not only helps you grow traffic, but makes you look like a subject matter expert in your industry and gives you a constant flow of content you can share out on social media.
Competitive analysis. You’re probably not reading this if you’re beating all of your local competitors in the rankings, so we take a close look at your top competitors and identify what they’re doing to be successful. We’ll thoroughly review your local competitive landscape to assess how you stack up and formulate an SEO strategy to get you to the top.
Google My Business
Listing optimization. Your Google My Business account is where you manage the information that Google displays in Google Map results as well as the local pack listings that display when someone does a search for a local contractor like “electricians near me”.
We know the ins and outs of Google My Business to set your listing up for success. We’ll review and make recommendations on:
- Proper business categories
- Business description
- Service area
- Image usage
- Product and service listings and descriptions
Reviews. When a potential customer considers multiple contractors, they can’t help but notice the reviews. Not only are the quantity and qualities of your reviews an important ranking factor in Google search results, but they’re also an important factor for lead generation. The truth is, your reviews are part of the decision-making process. 73% of consumers gain trust in a business after seeing positive reviews.
We’ll help you with a strategy to consistently generate more reviews to help you build that trust and get more leads.
Citations. A citation is when a website lists your business’s name, address, and phone number. This information should match what is on your site and on your Google My Business listing. The more places this information is listed consistently and correctly around the web, the more likely Google is to have trust in that information and share it prominently in their local pack and map listings.
Consumers use Google because they trust the results. Google has an incentive to keep their users happy, so if your company has changed its name, address, or phone number over the years, there’s a good chance that you have outdated information out there that Google is cross-referencing. We’ll help you clean up any out-of-date information to restore Google’s trust and also help you establish new listings to expand your presence.
Links. Honestly, the hardest part about SEO is getting links to your website. But, it’s also one of the most valuable ways to improve your rankings on search engines. In simple terms, the more outside websites that link to your contracting business, the more authoritative your website appears to search engines. We’ll work with you to uncover new opportunities for high-quality links that will help you leave your competition in the dust.
Reporting. We can promise you the world, but ultimately it comes down to results. All of our engagements are built around reporting results. It’s important to know where you started and how far you’ve come. We take a results-oriented approach and provide reporting that covers all the critical components of success including:
- Keyword rankings
- Search traffic
- Google My Business visibility
- Goal completions (phone calls, contact form completions, etc.)
- Constant reviews for new SEO opportunities
Why choose Netvantage as your contractor SEO partner?
We’re well aware that there is an almost endless number of SEO companies for contractors, but they’re not all created equal. We’ve been in this business a long time, and our results speak for themselves.
The other thing you’ll find when you work with us is that we don’t pull any punches or make false promises. We’ve found that contractors really appreciate that about us.
SEO is a tough business and no one can guarantee you 100% success. That said, we’ll use our experience to carefully craft your marketing strategy and then roll up our sleeves and execute. Along the way, we’ll keep you looped into the process so you know exactly what we’re doing and why. We won’t keep anything hidden behind the curtain because everything we do is on the up and up.
Learn more about SEO for contractors
When it comes to content marketing, we practice what we preach. Below you’ll find blog posts from our team discussing digital marketing and contractor SEO.