As a career, the law is constantly changing and evolving, with new cases, regulations, and trends emerging every day. For lawyers who want to stay on top of the latest developments in their field and distinguish themselves from their peers, blogging is a powerful tool.
By writing regularly about topics related to law, lawyers can showcase their knowledge, expertise, and analytical skills. Additionally, blogging gives lawyers the chance to network with other professionals in their field and reach a larger audience than they could through traditional marketing channels.
What are the benefits of blogging for lawyers?
Too many law firms’ websites are nothing more than vanity projects. They go live, they look shiny, and then they don’t do anything for your practice. Actively using a law firm blog gives you a marketing tool to help drive more potential clients to your website to build your brand and grow your business.
By blogging regularly and sharing valuable content, lawyers can establish themselves as thought leaders within the legal field, positioning themselves as experts in their areas of practice and gaining credibility among potential clients.
At Netvantage, we’ve worked with personal injury lawyers, family law offices, bankruptcy lawyers – you name it, we’ve worked with them. We’ve discovered through more than a decade of content marketing that strategic blog posts can improve your SEO, drive more traffic, and generate more leads for your legal services. And you can believe us, we’ve been doing SEO for lawyers since 2008!
How do you create content that search engines and users both like?
This is the million-dollar question. We’ve discovered that it all starts with good keyword research, and then a deep dive into understanding your client’s questions, or potential areas of interest. There are several free and paid keyword research tools available for professional and novice legal marketers.
If you hire a marketing agency, they’ll certainly have access to the best tools for research. If you’re planning on doing this on your own, you might want to check out our classic post on keyword research tools to find the ones that best fit your budget and approach.
What should lawyers blog about?
Consistently blogging can be a challenge, especially for busy lawyers who may not have much time to maintain a blog. The following are some ideas for topics that lawyers can blog about:
- Current legal issues and news: A blog can be a great way to keep the public informed about changes in the law or breaking news stories.
- Practice area updates: Lawyers can use their blogs to share new developments in their practice areas, such as changes in the law or new court decisions.
- Client stories: Client stories are a great way to show potential clients what kinds of cases you handle and how you have helped other clients in similar situations.
- Firm news: If you are a member of a law firm, you can use your blog to share news and announcements about the firm, such as new hires or promotions. These sorts of updates are also great for sharing on social media to drive engagement on those platforms.
- Legal tips and advice: A blog is a great platform for sharing legal tips and advice with the public.
- Doing Google searches within your practice area can also provide you with some easy targets for blog topics. Many Google searches have results that include a feature for “People Also Ask” which includes a list of questions related to your search. So, if you’re in family law, you might want to do a search for “divorce lawyer” and see what sorts of questions Google turns up for you. Alternately, tools like Answer the Public will allow you to put in a topic and it will provide you with a huge list of questions.
Once you’ve established your blog a bit, you can use other marketing channels like social media to ask your followers what sorts of specific questions they may have for you.
How to promote your legal blog
There are several ways that lawyers can promote their law firm blog. One strategy is to share relevant content on social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter, where they can connect with potential clients and other law professionals. By regularly posting high-quality articles that add value to the law community, lawyers can establish themselves as thought leaders and generate interest in their law firm.
Attorneys can also reach out to legal associations or law journals and offer guest posts on trending topics in the field. Such efforts not only help to boost the visibility of their law firm, but also provide valuable exposure for their own work. Overall, by harnessing various promotional strategies, attorneys can successfully promote their law firm blog as an invaluable resource for anyone looking for insightful legal information.
If all else fails, hire a professional
Look, we get it, you’re a legal professional, not an SEO expert or a copywriter. The truth is, well-done content marketing for lawyers can have a great ROI and really help grow your business. If you’re looking for help in improving your online marketing plan, Netvantage has a wealth of experience in SEO for lawyers and putting together an ongoing content calendar to help you build a blog that drives traffic to your site and helps you generate more leads. We’ll help you take your law blog to new heights.
Contact our team today by giving us a call at 877.204.0234 and we’ll be happy to discuss your online marketing needs.